Attention New Yorkers! This week is the New York Comedy Festival, and it’s kind of a big deal! From November 1st through November 6th, comedians from across the nation will be taking the stages across NYC to perform live stand-up and improv.
We were pumped to snag tickets to some shows and laugh our socks off, until we realized something not-so-funny. Of the 19 performers who are featured as headliners on the NYCF site, only three of the performers are women.
Cameron Esposito, who has appeared on Comedy Central, NBC, TBS, CBS, E!, IFC, HBO Canada and the Cartoon Network, will be headlining at the NYU Skirball Center on November 4th at 7:30 PM.
Bridget Everett, a talented cabaret performer and comedian, who has been featured on Inside Amy Schumer and Comedy Central many, many times, will be performing for one night at Town Hall, on November 3rd at 8:00 PM.
Tig Notaro, who had a comedy produced by Netflix literally titled Tig, and has performed on The Sarah Silverman Program, Inside Amy Schumer, and Comedy Central, will headlining at Carnegie Hall on November 5th at 7:00 PM.
The other 16 headlining performers, who are all men, include:
- Bill Maher @ Madison Square Garden
- Tim Dillion @ Carolines on Broadway
- Fred Armisen @ Town Hall
- Haniball Buress @ Apollo Theatre
- Hari Kondabolu @ NYU Skirball
- Trevor Noah @ Beacon Theatre
- Tracy Morgan @ Carnegie Hall
- TJ Miller @ Town Hall
- Hasan Minhaj @ NYU Skirball
- Dane Cook @ Beacon Theatre
- Tim Minchin @ Beacon Theatre
- Eric Andre @ Carolines on Broadway
- Marc Maron @ Carnegie Hall
- Chris D’Elia @ Beacon Theatre
- Anthony Atamanuik @ NYU Skirball
- Patton Oswalt @ Beacon Theatre
There is no denying that the world of comedy is still very much a man’s world. But luckily, there are plenty of other smaller shows throughout the week at various venues, such as Upright Citizen’s Brigade, The Village Underground, Gotham Comedy Club and Union Hall, that will be featuring women comedians doing solo routines, and performing in improv sketch groups! Thank goshhh. Three cheers for the small stages!
All of the male comedians who are headlining are insanely hilarious and talented, so we encourage you to treat yourself to a Trevor Noah or Tracy Morgan show. All we ask is that your open yourself to the idea of supporting women comedians during this awesome week of comedy! Some great shows that include women are:
- DAMN, She’s Funny! @ Union Hall
- BUCKY! Thank F#@% it’s Friday! @ UCB East Village
- Boast Rattle @ Union Hall
- Comics to Watch Sketch Showcase @ UCB Chelsea
- Would You Bang Him? @ Comedy Cellar at the Village Underground
- Sisters of Comedy @ Carolines on Broadway
Be sure to buy your tickets as soon as possible to cheer on new and noteworthy comedians who deserve to be put on the #GRID. Let’s support that #GirlPower!
*This article previously had an error that stated there were only two women comedians headlining. It has been changed to three.